Why Make Your Own Granola and Peanut Butter Banana Nut Granola Recipe
It is always around this time of year where I start really wanting GRANOLA on everything!!! On top of smoothie bowls. On top of chia pudding. Mixed into cut fruit topped with coconut whip. There is just something incredibly wonderful about adding it to all these “boring” foods to jazz them up or simply tossing it into a snack bag to take on a hike. Plus it is sooo freakin easy to make!
Now yes you can buy granola in the grocery store, for a small fortune, and it taste f@ckin fantastic BUT making your own is sooo much better for so many reasons! So lets talk a little about why one would make their own granola?
1) SUGAR CONTENT. Did you know that the average store bought granola has about 4 tsp of SUGAR PER SERVING!!! Which is ludicrous, especially when you factor in that you’re really not supposed to have more than 6-8 tsp’s/day.
2) Customization. You can put whatever the f@ck you want in it. Flavour it with your favourite flavours. Follow any specific allergies/sensitivities you have (A LOT of the grocery store ones contain wheat/gluten/nuts/eggs). You can even add fun ingredients you might not normally see in stores.
3) You know exactly what is going into it. Yes we all know that there are sooo many hidden ingredients in a lot of the “food items” on the shelf, or ingredients that we cannot pronounce and thus have zero idea what they truly are, and granola is no different. But by making your own granola not only are you totally aware of the ingredients that are in it BUT you are also aware of HOW much of things like fat, sugar, and salt are in it too.
4) It is easy peasy! Okay yes maybe picking up a bag off a shelf might sound easier BUT considering that making your own only takes about 20-30 minutes, keeps for about 3-6 weeks (depending how often/much you eat it) and you can do it in you PJS…Which I will take making my own over driving to the store and fighting crowds any day!
5) COST! Granola purchased from the store usually costs around $10 for a bag but you can EASILY make your own at home for about $3-4 and get double the amount out of it too, making it more bang for your buck!
6) You can make this dope @$$ protein rich Peanut Butter Banana Nut Granola!
Peanut Butter Banana Nut Granola
3 cups Old Fashioned Oats
1 cup chopped Walnuts
1/2 cup chopped Pecans
1 ripe medium Banana
2 tbsp Flax ground
2 tbsp Chia seeds
1/3 cup Maple Syrup
1/4 cup Coconut Oil melted
1/4 cup Peanut Butter
1 tsp Cinammon
1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla
1/8 tsp Sea Salt
2 scoops Coast Protein Peanut Butter Protein Powder
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. While oven is preheating combine pecans, walnuts, flax seeds, chia, oats, cinnamon, salt and protein powder in a large bowl.
In a small bowl mash your banana and then add in your peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut oil (already melted), and vanilla. Stir to combine.
Add wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine. Once fully combined set aside to settle while you place 2 unlined cookie sheet in the oven for 10 minutes. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP.
Once cookie sheets are preheated and mixture has settled, line the cookie sheets with parchment paper and divide the mixture between the two. Take a spatula and flatten mixture and place in the oven to bake for about 25-30 minutes.
Once granola has become golden but not burnt remove from oven and place somewhere to cool for about 45 minutes and then break into desired pieces and place into a sealed glass jar.
The granola will keep in a sealed jar for about 5-6 weeks and can be enjoyed in yogurt, chia, or smoothie bowls, eaten as a snack or used instead of cereal in your favourite nut milk.
This recipe/post has been sponsored by Coast Protein but all thoughts and creative ideas are my own.